brandyland.org

Originality is undetected plagerism.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

project censored

When I was 16 almost 17, Bubba was running for president. I was aware, even at that age while working and going to school and being a teenage mom, of the sins of dessert storm. I had a year or so previous been in the protests, and I really did care what happened to those people.
I was, however, still a minor, unable to vote(don't you love how they make you believe that voting is your only recourse a caring citizen?) so I did the next best thing. I canvassed for the democratic party(at the time I thought they were wildly different from the gop). I walked door to door and talked to voters about issues, and connected with people in order to contribute. And I also spent many hours filing, sorting, stuffing envelopes,etc...
When dubya was elected I hated it, I was outraged. But I guess I got apathetic. But I was a wife, mother of 3, a business owner, really heavy into school volunteering, and a student myself. And it didn't seem to me at the time that our political situation could get much worse.
How wrong was I?
Anyone who has paid attention to the media has an idea of the neglect that the people of New Orleans have faced. It is similar to how we have treated the Iraqi people, and many other people along the way in our history.
However there is a difference, and it is a difference of degree, not a difference of kind. Why do I say this? It is a racial, economic, and cultural bias that led to this particular atrocity.
A politician I am not. That is why I have never in my 6 years of blogging been political. But damn. How can you not be right now?
If you really do care, read independent media. I want to cry sometimes when I do. The nature of our government is one of absolute contempt and hatred.